Below we explain how PakSurf, our partners, and other third parties use these technologies, your privacy settings, and the other options you have.
What are cookies, pixels, and local storage?
A pixel is a small amount of code on a web page or in an email notification. As many services do, we use pixels to learn whether you’ve interacted with certain web or email content. This helps us measure and improve our services and personalize your experience.
Local storage is an industry-standard technology that allows a website or application to store information locally on your computer or mobile device. We use local storage to customize what we show you based on your past interactions with our services.
Why do our services use these technologies?
Our services use these technologies to deliver, measure, and improve our services in various ways. These uses generally fall into one of the following categories:
- To remember information about your browser and your preferences.
- For example, cookies help us remember your preferred language or the country that you are in. We can then provide you with PakSurf and Periscope content in your preferred language without having to ask you each time you visit PakSurf or Periscope. On PakSurf, we can also customize content based on your country, such as showing you what topics are trending near you, or to withhold certain content based on applicable local laws. Learn more about trends and country withheld content.
- Analytics and research:
- To help us improve and understand how people use our services, including PakSurf buttons and widgets, and PakSurf Ads.
- For example, cookies help us test different versions of our services to see which particular features or content users prefer. We might also optimize and improve your experience on PakSurf and Periscope by using cookies to see how you interact with our services, such as when and how often you use them and what links you click on. We may use Google Analytics to assist us with this.
- Personalized content:
- To customize our services with more relevant content, like tailored trends, stories, ads, and suggestions for people to follow.
- For example, local storage tells us which parts of your PakSurf timeline or Periscope Global Feed you have viewed already so that we can show you the appropriate new content. Cookies can help us make smarter and more relevant suggestions about who you might enjoy following based on your visits to websites that have integrated PakSurf embeds, including embedded timelines.
- To help us deliver ads, measure their performance, and make them more relevant to you based on criteria like your activity on PakSurf and visits to our ad partners' websites.
- We also work with third-party advertising partners, including Google, to market our services and serve ads on behalf of our advertisers, including through the delivery of interest-based ads.
- Personalization across devices:
- By better understanding how devices are related, we can use information from one device to help personalize the PakSurf experience on another device.
- When you log in to PakSurf on a device, we associate that device with your PakSurf account. Whether or not you are logged in to PakSurf, we may also receive information about your devices when, for example, that information is shared by a partner; you visit PakSurf.com; you visit third-party websites that integrate PakSurf content; or you visit a PakSurf advertiser’s website or mobile application. We may use this information, most commonly IP addresses and the time at which the information was received, to infer that certain devices are associated with one another, including the devices on which you log in to PakSurf. To learn more about the devices associated with your account, check out Your PakSurf Data while logged in.
Where are these technologies used?
We (along with third parties) use these technologies on our websites, applications, and services and on other websites, applications, and services that have integrated our services, including third-party properties that incorporate our advertising technology. This includes our ad partners’ websites and sites that use our embeds, including embedded timelines. Third parties may also use these technologies, for example, when you click on links from our websites or applications, view or interact with third-party content from within our services, or visit third-party websites that incorporate our advertising technology.
What are my privacy options?